Thursday, June 16, 2011

Research for Photojournalism

My first overseas trip to do photograhy was complicated. I'd mostly shot studio photos (product shots) and fine art black and white photos up until that moment and even some low key portraiture.



My assignment was to do some photojournalism while on location in Indonesia. This was my first venture to south east Asia, let alone the first time I had worked in the role of photojournalist. The details of the assignment was for myself and a small team to go, do some interviews of pilots, and take photographs of the missionary aviation service they worked for, shoot photos of their planes, and specifically to take photos of a new aircraft that the mission was receiving that used jet fuel versus avgas.

I really knew nothing about shooting photos of aircraft but in my naivety I didn't see how it could be THAT different. Exposure is exposure and DOF is DOF, etc. I was wrong. Horribly wrong.



About 60% of that assignment was fine but the other 40% could have been much better....

Here are some key things I learned that would have helped the 40%:
1. You need to understand your subject well-before leaving. I didn't really understand issues of shooting aircraft.
Q1. For example, how close will pilots actually fly?
Q2. Will I be required to get in-flight photos?
Q3. What equipment will that require me to have?



A1. I can tell you that it's not very close. Their idea of close is like a mile away.
A2. In-flight photos were required.
A3. I should have brought a 400mm lens with stabilization or vibration reduction. VR for Nikonians.

Q4. What will the weather be like and how will that impact the equipment?
A4. Rain and humidity are not so good for camera equipment but you still have to shoot so bringing rain shrouds, spare bodies, spare lenses is a good thing. Also, being prepared to acclimate your gear to high humidity and temperatures before you need to shoot is a good idea. Moving your bag from A/C to the environment can cause a half hour or more delay while you wait for your lenses and sensors to clear up from the moisture that accumulates. Hot to cold and cold to hot and dry to moist and moist to dry changes impact your equipment.

Q5. Will the culture I'm shooting in be comfortable with me?

A5. Some cultural environments are not excited about outsiders or white people or Americans or all three. They are even less excited about you coming in with large, expensive cameras. Sometimes a smaller, less conspicuous camera is a better choice. 

Also consider that most cultures are made up of sub-cultures and they may not be homogenous in their acceptance or disdain.

Do some research. It'll just be better for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment